From: Jason Donnelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: [313] electro clash
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:01:22 +0000

heres the new crazy for summer 2002:

>It get's worse. They've given it a new name, Electroclash! One of the UK's
>leading newspapers, The Guardian, recently did a little article about it.
>Url is http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4378739,00.html
>
>The interesting bit for me is the top tunes they list at the end. Repeated
>here from the article for those people who won't bother taking a look.
>
>Space Invaders Are Smoking Grass, by I-F (Interdimensional Transmissions,
>1998)
>Eurotrash Girl, by Chicks On Speed (Go, 1998)
>I Wanna Be Your Dog, by Daker & Grinser (Disko B, 1999)
>Play Girl, by Ladytron (Invicta Hi-Fi, 2000)
>Emerge, by Fischerspooner (International Deejay Gigolos, 2000)
>1982, by Miss Kittin & The Hacker (International Deejay Gigolos, 2001)
>Silver Screen, by Felix Da Housecat featuring Miss Kittin (Shower Scene)
>(City Rockers, 2001)

once again the UK press has jumped on the band wagon

take care

jason

Dear All
It seems to me that this could well be just another bandwagon to jump onto, however, if music like this can make it into the charts then it can't be too much of a bad thing. The test will be if the artists can remain true to themselves and not be manipulated by the majors, who no doubt will be dangling a fat carrot in their faces, hmmm, will they resist? Anyways the album DJ Hell released, Munich Machine on Disko B, was in this vein and an excellent example of techno music. Ididn't see this listed in the article, someone didn't do their homework. At the time I thought it was quiet groundbreaking. Music should be fun, makes you move makes you groove. It certainly is not about a lot of moody blokes skulking in corners nodding their heads, discussing the technical merits and being underground. Perhaps this stuff will make techno heard by many others and thus it can't be a bad thing. Personally I like the stuff DJ Hell has been putting out on his gigolo label, right now I'm listening to that Tiga Mix just out and some tracks are great, some are very tongue in cheek. If this music can inject a bit of fun into the techno scene then I'm sure it'll work outside of it. Time will tell. Good luck to all.
Cheers Shosh ;)