more carbohydrate bombs.

vegan french toast
X slices of organic whole-wheat bread
1 cup soy milk
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
powdered sugar to taste [but I actually don't like it]

pretty simple. I'd use a loaf of unsliced bread. I prefer the whole-wheat
sourdough at your local organic / foo-foo bakery [Avalon in Detroit, whatup!;
Zingerman's in Ann Arbor; Alchemy in Toronto; Tapatio / Wild Oats in Columbus;
Gracefully in East Village, NYC; Rainbow in SF], but if not, find some bread
with no whey, lactic acids, butterfat, etc. Brownberry makes a vegan loaf but
it might have hydrogenated oil, which is equally bad for you as well. Wisk the
milk, oil, cinnamon, and baking powder together in a square-like bowl / pan /
whatever and then soak the pieces of bread in it for a few minutes at a time.
Cook for a few minutes per side with a little olive oil in a skillet again.
Garnish with strawberries, blueberries, bananas, and vegan margarine + maple
syrup. yum.

vegan risotto
base:
2 cups arborio rice
4 cups vegetable broth [from reconstituted vegetable bouillon or your own
recipe]
1 small yellow onion, diced extremely finely
diced fresh or dried rosemary, thyme, oregano, etc.
1 cup wine [the alcohol burns off]
1/4 cup olive oil
the elusive before mentioned Vegan Parmesan Alternative [if you _need_ it]
sea salt to taste

additives:
1 1/2 cups dried porchini mushrooms
or
1 1/2 cups sun-dried tomatoes, diced

with
1-2 cups asparagus tips, arugula, peas, etc. [optional, but best with the
tomatoes]
you can also add things like carrots, broccoli, etc. but it's up to you...

Make the broth ready in advance. I would suggest you reconstitute the mushrooms
or tomatoes in the same water as the broth to concentrate the flavor. Before
you go on, make sure this is ready.

Start by sauteing the olive oil, herbs, and onion for about a minute on high in
a large soup-sized pot. Quickly add the wine, keep on high, and continue
stirring so that the rice doesn't stick to the bottom. The wine should be
steaming away. After 1-2 minutes of stirring, start adding the broth and
vegetables. Usually you're supposed to do this gradually, stirring the risotto
slowly the entire time. If you add fresh greens [arugula] I would wait 15-20
minutes until adding them, otherwise they will completely wilt. Sometimes I get
lazy and just dump all of the broth in at once and stir occasionally for about
25-30 minutes. It should have the consistency of oatmeal, but the rice should
still be intact, just soft + glutinous [there's that word again]

If you had used fresh thyme, add it as garnish at the end. Or break off some
sprigs of basil, or arrange some asparagus stalks in a lovely, aesthetically
pleasing formation.

this would be a good side salad:

arugula with tomatoes + avocado
small bunch arugula [depending on how many you're feeding, duh]
1 ripe avocado
1 small roma tomato per person
1 tbsp pignolias / pine nuts per person

the magic salad dressing:
2 tbsps tahini
1 tbsp dijon / brown mustard
3 tbsps Japanese or sweet soy sauce
1 tsp raw sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
enough water to thin

Whip the hell out of the above liquid ingredients + sugar to a tan, creamy
consistency. The oil + tahini clings to the salad so make it somewhat thin with
adding small amounts of liquid hydrogen + oxygen molecules.

rinse the arugula, slice the tomatoes thinly; drizzle the salad dressing on top
and garnish with pignolias.
mmm.

if I'm up for it, I'll type up my mountain yam soba noodles and penne arrabiata
recipes tomorrow.

till then,

CHOW [ciao]!

+odd