Slum Village are taking it somewhere, same with The Roots, and even Black
Eyed Peas, and all have taken inspiration from electronic music, in the
latter two cases drum 'n' bass, but I think that a lot of underground
hip-hop is caught up in a romantic past. Take for example People Under The
Stairs. Ugly Duckling. It's cool, conscious, fun, but is it really
innovative? They're not open to fresh influences. There's actually more
innovation in the more commercial sphere, production-wise, with the likes of
Timbaland and The Neptunes.
I don't think Puff is defining commercial hip-hop at the moment, and hasn't
for a couple of years at least. I think he's plateaued and been superseded
by Irv Gotti, etc.
The hip-hop underground is probably bigger than it ever was, it exists
separately from commercial hip-hop. Those bands do better as live touring
acts.
You have to remember that Eminem was very much part of the underground
pre-Dre. Of course the headz will always say Infinite was his best work! :)