>> In the future he wants to be less in the spotlight as a rapper and eventually
>> do more production... I guess there's a Detroit style emerging...
>
> I'd say that a Detroit style of hip hop has been around for a minute, not
> necessarily mainstream though. T

There's a couple
> of other Detroit hip hop flavours running around, but they aren't as
> pervasive within the community - and in my opinion they suck.

Interesting. I kinda put Slum Village on their own.

I have some stuff I still have to play that I got in Detroit but that dark
style seems to be associated with Eminem, D12, Proof and Dogmatic and
Sicknotes and some others, and they seem partial to rock too. I didn't care
for it at first but Em's work is getting more boom to it. I hate that tinny
synth sound in some gangsta rap, I dig the booming bass, powerful beats,
myself.

Incidentally Xzibit grew up in Detroit and left at 10.

Snoop Dogg's dad is from Detroit.

Betcha didn't know that.