Has this been mentioned on the list already? Sure looks good to me... I
found the Philadelphia Experiment album a bit samey, but they've widened the
scope for this one and it looks pretty dope. I'm definitely feeling the
C2-produced jazz tracks "Space Odyssey' and "Midnight At The Twenty Grand".

By the way, I found this on a website called Renaissance Soul, which is new
to me but looks pretty interesting for all of y'all who have been talking
about Detroit hip-hop lately - www.rensoul.com

And finally, while searching for more info on Ropeadope's site I stumbled
across this:

A Tale Of Two Cities:
King Britt and Carl Craig will spin at SHINE in New York City on Wednesday,
Nov 20. Together, they are the unbeatable one-two punch of electronic music.
If you live in NYC, be there or be salty. More info at
http://www.giantstep.net/shows/viewshow.asp?showid=291

Andy

---

The Detroit Experiment
produced by Carl Craig, Karriem Riggins & Aaron Levinson
Ropeadope Records

"The Way Me Make Music"
12" single - December 2002

Album - February 2002

Following the success of the critically acclaimed Philadelphia Experiment,
Ropeadope's newest music lab is the city of Detroit. With a core band that
includes the founding fathers (and mothers) from the Motor City including
jazz legends Marcus Belgrave, Regina Carter, Gerri Allen, Bennie Maupin, and
more, the roots of the Detroit sound were brought back to the future by
DJ/Producer Carl Craig, and UMA member Karriem Riggins (Slum Village) who
recorded the band over a period of five days at the legendary White Room
Studio in downtown Detroit. The results are spellbinding, mind-blowing and a
true testament to the past, present, and future of the music of Detroit. The
full-length will be released by Ropeadope in February 2003.

Until then, we present to you a little taste: The Karriem Riggins (Slum
Village) produced "The Way We Make Music" featuring Michigan's own MC
Invincible with some help from the Athletic Mic League. Not neglecting
Detroit's contribution to the world of Funk, the Detroit Experiment covers
"Church" which the funk-rock-fusion track that will please the most
discerning of funk fans. The B-side features the talents of Carl Craig
reinterpreting the Marcus Belgrave jazz fun classic titled "Space Odyssey"
with some help from Marcus himself. The experiment also captured the essence
of real Detroit jazz which can be felt by the flute driven "Midnight at the
Twenty Grand". The final track on the B-side is "Space Break" which takes a
small section of the drum break from Space Odyssey and leaves it open for
producers and DJ's to sample.

Look for the full-length debut of the Detroit Experiment in February 2003
and watch for the national tour coming to a city near you.

The track listing for the single is as followed:

Side A:
1. The Way We Make Music - Full Version
[http://www.rensoul.com/audio/detroitexperiment_theway.ram]
2. The Way We Make Music - Instrumental