I've found that you always get this with certain qualities of vinyl, except with Shure's wonderful M447s, which I can't praise enough. The villains of the piece are definitely the Stanton 500als, which basically cane vinyl in a horrifying way - though there's always those little battery powered bus/car things that drive round your record with a little speaker on their back, don't ever use these if you want to listen to the record again.

Through collecting old vinyl I've noticed that the quality of the vinyl varies a lot with economic circumstances. e.g. during the 70's and the oil crisis pressings became a lot thinner and peeps came up with silly ideas like RCA's shonky 'Dynaflex' pressings. These thin pressings, or worse still the ones pressed on adulterated vinyl, seem to be particularly prone to needle burn.

A bit OT I'm afraid (especially for a first posting - please be gentle) but Richard started it.

Dan

while we are kinda on topic.....I wanted to ask about vinyl burning and
stylii

if you've got old styliil can they damage your wax?

I was playing around with two copies and repeating the intro for ages...and
then when I played the same record the next day the intro was all staticy
and defintely sounded damaged. is this vinyl burn? on some stylli/cartridge
ads they talk about this 'vinyl burn'.....can old needles damage your wax?

rc