----- Original Message -----
From: "techno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 1:00 AM
Subject: (313) CARL CRAIG: DETROIT VETERAN DEFENDING TECHNO!

> http://www.burntblue.com/music/
>
> Intertesting interview, the post-techno Carl Craig is a little too
eclectic
> for my taste but maybe his new mix CD is worth checking out.

Am I the only one who is a little dissapointed by 'The Workout'?

I was soooo impressed by his set @ DEMF '02 that I thought it signaled a new
mixing style for him, but since then, he has seemed to slip back in to an
almost stale role. I like most of the tracks on 'The Workout', and most of
the tracks he played at 93 Feet East when he played here in London (I missed
the 5-hour set @ Bridge & Tunnel the next night), but am I alone in feeling
like something is missing from the energy he brought early this Summer,
where he felt like a 'top10 DJ's in the world' kind of act in May, or am I
the only one that's surprised he hasn't stepped it up a little higher?

I am really surprised he hasn't incorporated more broken beat material
post-2000 Black, but that may be a personal bias. I guess I'm just
perceiving a conservative essence I've never seen before and it freaks me
out. I miss what he had at DEMF '02. I can't help but judge him by the
standard he set for himself that night, and I think that's perfectly fair.
He elevated himself. I would like to see more of that.

Then again, I've never been a father, so what do I know?

Disclaimer: Carl Craig is my hero. No one else has influenced my musical
development more than him. I mean absolutely no disrespect by these
comments. On the contrary, I respect him *so much* I want to see him live up
to the standards I hold for him, because he has never failed me before.

Tristan
=====
Text/Mixes: http://phonopsia.tripod.com
Music: http://www.mp313.com
Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

New Mix in mp3, 'Live in Iowa City' available for
a short time from http://phonopsia.isoprax.com