Went to the re-opening party for the Sub Club last night. For those that
haven't heard of it, the Sub Club is a legendary, long-running Glasgow house
club that's been shut down for the past couple of years while the building
that housed it was redeveloped. Having never visited in the past, but having
heard countless tales of how amazing it was in its heyday, I was looking
forward to checking it out, and wasn't disappointed - although it's not 100%
finished yet inside it's a very impressive space, a fantastic low-ceilinged
rectangular room with tasteful decor and great sound.

For the opening party, the original residents Harri and Domenic Capello were
joined by some very special gusests: Jerry Dammers, who opened the night
with some great reggae and dub; Fenetik's Paul Cawley, with a quality blend
of deep Moodymann and Metro Area-type gear; Kenny Hawkes, who did his usual
tracky house business; plus Trackmode's Brett Dancer and the legendary Larry
Heard.

Twitch, one of the men behind Glasgow's Sunday night electroclash sensation
Optimo, also played, but I left after Larry and Brett finished to head down
to a semi-secret warehouse party organised by Rubadub where they were also
due to play.

Had a great time at the Sub Club, but an even better time at the Unit, which
started to fill up around 3AM, and where Larry Heard and Brett Dancer were
still going strong when I left around 6AM. Loads of friendly faces (hi BT!),
and between the Sub Club and the warehouse party it was like a who's who of
the Glasgow music scene, with everyone partying hard. Great stuff, and a
reassuring reminder that quality house music is still very much alive and
kicking.

Between them, Larry and Brett managed to drop a phenomenal range of
stuff - big classics like 'Strings of Life' and 'Plastic Dreams', dubbed-out
and hypnotically beautiful spine-tingling deep house, big New York vocal
garage tunes, disco and funk classics, early acid house and more - great to
hear such a mixture. I believe they're playing at Scuba in Sheffield
tonight, so go and check them out if you read this in time...

And looking forward to seeing the Moderator at the Unit next weekend. Hope
to see some of the London 313 crew making their way up - hi Nicole, Tristan
and co :)

Cheers,

Tom