ok, i know and understand all that. but my question still isn't answered. you're talking about dj's/producers who can do live p.a.'s, but from a punters point of view, why would i want to see someone like voiteck, hmc, richie hawtin, etc... dj, unless they was using their pressed tracks, because then they'd be no different then me. do you see what i'm getting at...

From: "Cyclone Wehner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Sanderson Dear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: (313) making tracks & dj'ing.
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 01:22:11 +0800

Hey!

You've posed a good question.

This issue often comes up in my line as a journalist.

I will give you a case of how it works.

The reason a lot of reputable local DJs in Melbourne decide to make tracks
is so they can gradually build up a profile overseas where they are
otherwise unknown.

The key word is "gradually" since obviously if they are releasing shit
tracks nothing will happen and it is rare that even one dope track alone
will do the business.

If a record builds up a buzz overseas then promoters are obviously more
interested in capitalising on this and bringing someone from Australia to
their country.

Australians like HMC and Voiteck have broken into the international market
this way and both have recently headed overseas to tour.

Voiteck started his own label, Truck Muzik, then he sent out promos of his
records to various distributors, media, DJs, etc, and built up a vibe.

He got press, so a wider band of people started to know his name.

That has made him a more viable prospect for promoters. It's also easier for
them to hype him up when they do tour him.

Had Voiteck just stuck to DJing and live sets in Australia he wouldn't have
gone overseas.

There are lots of DJs but DJs who put out records have a better chance of
getting work on the international circuit. In addition, the local media is
more interested in covering them when they come to town.