I logged in to post a review of telefon tel aviv, and you post this
excellent review. Thanks.

But since it's what I started out to do here are my comments:

If Tortoise is 'post-rock' Telefon Tel Aviv are 'post-Tortoise.' You can
obviously see the influence of percursors on this music, including
fellow Chicagoans like Tortoise and Bowery Electric, a bit of Can,
a lot of early Pink Floyd .... but what TTA brings to the show is a
a sense of Zen process.  They've realized what seems to be occuring
to a lot of people -- that just because you start a song on a computer,
there's no reason not to jam live and see what happens.

And one nice thing is how brazenly pop a lot of the tracks are.  "Life is
all about Taking Things in and Putting Things Out" sound like pat
metheny with a peanut gallery of stuttery off time percussion sounds.
I can easily see Bjork wanting to work with them, because they're all
about leaving space.

It seems like I'm getting a lot of CDs that come from people who are
into synthesizing electronics and live playing.  The Nudge is like that,
and the Dntel.  As someone who grew up playing the 'cello and teaching
myself guitar over the course of my misspent adolescence, I have a visceral
feeling of connection when people play an instrument live because there's
a sense of creation in the moment. There are places
live players can go you can't get to just with a computer. The converse
is also true also, and it's possible to find synergy.   When this
meshes there's a sense of musical maximalism -- even in music this sparse
the ambition is there to combine the intuitive and analytical completely.