longtime jungle/jazz innovators spring heel jack recently released a new lp,
"masses," in cooperation with a jazz combo called the blue series continuum.
probably the least drum-n-bass sounding record shj have ever released, but i
like it. very squaky jazz with electronics underneath. i think coxon and
wales created ambient/beat backing tracks and then the jazz musicians
improvised over the top in the studio.

personally my fave shj records are the previous two, "disappeared" and
"treader." VERY percussive and beat-driven but only occasionally "jungle"
sounding. lots of great melodic elements....

speaking of melodic drum-n-bass, and returning the discussion to detroit,
what do folks think of the new omni trio album, "even angels cast shadows"?
producer rob haigh wears his detroit techno influences on his sleeve, and
although he has yet to top his debut album, "music for the next millennium"
(a.k.a. "the deepest cut"), his stuff's always worth picking up. my theory
is that every other omni trio lp is a four-star affair, and this being his
fifth, it's ace. much less sedate than the previous "byte size life" (even
though that one had a track title that referenced detroit), it returns to
the sinister edge of 1997's "skeleton keys." anyone else here heard it?

brian dillard