THE SCIENTIST OF SOUND IS COMING TO AKRON TO SHOW US HOW ITS
DONE...AND NOT ONLY THAT BE HE WILL BE PERFORMING AT ONE OF THE MOST
ACOUSTICALLY FRIENDLY PERFORMANCE SPACES IN AKRON

THOMAS DOLBY - AKRON, OH - SEPT. 14TH
For info visit.
http://dolby.experimedia.net

VENUE INFO - http://www.thetangier.com

Last fall, Thomas Dolby hit the road and reminded audiences of his
early contribution to the fusion of electronic and pop music. He also
unleashed a live retrospective album and DVD, each called The Sole
Inhabitant. Never one to stay in one place for long, Dolby will return
to North American soil this year, but with a twist: He'll be joined by
the Jazz Mafia Horns from San Francisco, who will help him present new
material while adding new shades to Dolby's catalog of classics which
include the hits "She Blinded Me With Science," "Hyperactive," "Europe
and the Pirate Twins," "The Flat Earth" and more.

Dolby will also debut a new between-albums EP titled Thomas Dolby &
the Jazz Mafia Horns: Live @ SXSW on his own Lost Toy People label.
The five-song EP contains four Dolby originals ("The Key To Her
Ferrari," "May The Cube Be With You," "My Brain Is Like A Sieve" and
"Your Karma Hit My Dogma") as well as a new take on George Clinton's
"Hot Sauce." The album is available at iTunes, CDBaby and
ThomasDolby.com, and will be sold at tour stops across North America
but will not be sold at brick-and-mortar retail outlets.

Of his hookup with the Jazz Mafia Horns, Dolby says, "I discovered in
San Francisco there's a vibrant underground movement of young jazz
musicians who are wide open to everything from 'turntablism' to New
Orleans marching band funk. One ensemble that plays regularly in North
Beach clubs and bars is the Jazz Mafia, whose numbers on a given night
can vary from three to thirteen brass players. Over the years I've
employed sampled and synthesized brass on many of my more up-tempo
tunes, but I've rarely had the opportunity to jam with live horn
players. It seemed to me that the inherent rigidity of my electronica
might be nicely offset by the looseness and liveness of real brass, so
I got with the Jazz Mafia and worked out new arrangements of some of
my tunes. This works especially well when I'm building grooves by
'looping and layering' live tracks and building songs from scratch."

The Jazz Mafia Horns consist of Rich Armstrong, trumpet and backing
vocals; Adam Theis, trombone; and Joe Cohen, saxophone.

In its review of Dolby's appearance at South by Southwest (SXSW) this
past March, the e-zine LiveDaily.com wrote: "Unsurprisingly, the
technological wiz is a gearhound. The stage at the Elysium looked like
the bridge of the Starship Enterprise, with only a small space left
for the Jazz Mafia Trio, a horn section that spiced up Dolby's
electronic soundscapes. The bald, mad scientist-like Dolby was
relaxed, personable and smiled from the start of his set to the
finish. In between, he created off-the-cuff loops to back his vocals
(both of which sounded great), danced, and managed a library of video
imagery projected on a large movie screen; interspersed with canned
video segments were live shots of the crowd, filmed via a cam mounted
to Dolby's left headphone. The performance exemplified the word 'fun'
- which makes perfect sense, since the presumably well-off Dolby isn't
doing this for any other reason."

"Dolby's one-man stage show is a bizarre hybrid of computer generated
music, video montage, and film projections bordering on performance
art theater."
"Dolby's Video Jockey, Johnny DeKam mixes live video feeds of the
performance with original footage onto large projection screens behind
Dolby as he performs."
"For one number, Dolby constructs an entire song on-the-spot, with web
cams tracking each step."
"It's interesting to watch. I have a camera on my head so you can see
my point of view on the knobs." - Dolby