for some reason my reply about the rush hour record did not come through.

out October 25th
to celebrate Rush Hour's 10th Anniversary

Population One - "Rush Hour"
12" no. 1 = original, dj rolando remix
12" no. 2= aardvarck remix, convextion remix

they announced it yesterday and released the aardvarck and rolando
mixes into their digital record pool. apparently terence's track
(released on utensil in 1995) was the inspiration for RH's name.

terence's original reminds me of a detroit version of robert armani or
something, it's a minimal banger that sounds like some sort of alarm
thru a filter...and some toms here and there...it's more interesting
than armani, sort of a touch of rob hood or something, very
subtle...i'd never heard it before, i never heard much utensil stuff
period..

the aardvarck mix is his trademark blend of broken beat, house and
techno, with pitched samples of pads and off-beat claps..it's really
pretty fresh! very unique. i like it!

the rolando mix is kinda underwater ur-lite style techno, lots of
percussion, shuffling rhythms and filtered bits that sort of start
"talking", and a nice funk bassline. it's nothing wild or unexpected,
not that exciting to me but i imagine lots of dj's will like it

i have 3 mixes from gerard, and i don't think rh knows which one they
are using yet...one puts terence's "alarm" sound thru the trademark
convextion filter (makes it sound like an fm noise, echoes it out
sometimes) and adds a very mr fingers style bassline, the toms from
the original, some dubby twinkly noises and some fuzzy dark pads later
on. it's a cross between e.r.p. and chicago. another is straight up
e.r.p. style, super deep jammy jam electro with eerie pads and dubby
sounds and a hot bassline which straddles kraftwerk and detroit. the
last one is i think the only one he has submitted so far, is ambient
for the first 5 minutes, than a very stripped down electro beat and a
a few grungy bass notes come in...super deep, it's pretty much an
ambient track. i think rh rejected this one. i really like all 3, they
should've given him a whole 12" :P

jt