Toby...

Are you using Rockbox? That should address those problems. I use Rockbox on my
iRiver exclusively.
It is far better - especially for recording. And yes, Ken, it can record wavs
(amongst other
things).

I keep think about buying a fancy new slim mp3 player, but I have yet to find
anything as good as
my sturdy iRiver. Plus, it is large and heavy enough to be used in hand to hand
combat :)