On 3/13/08, Frank Glazer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Thomas D. Cox, Jr.
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Frank Glazer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  > the facts:
> >  >
> >  >  only 114 (36%) of the 315 individual performers over the last eight
> >  >  years (perhaps excluding 2001) have been from the detroit area
> >  >  of the 48 or so who have performed more than once, 38 have been from
> >  >  detroit (80%)
> >
> >  what we need is the percentages by year to see what the breakdown is
> >  like. my personal favorite year was 03 (i missed the first 3 though)
> >  and that one had to have been like 75% detroit area artists.
> >

> that would be ideal, yes, but i'd bet that what has really happened is
> that the overall number of performers has increased, while the detroit
> representation has stayed about the same.  and, realistically, i think
> the problem is that there are just a finite number of people djing and
> making music in detroit.  hence KMS getting booked a ridiculous five
> times.  it is a crime, however, that rob hood has only been booked
> once.  and derrick and jeff have only played once as well.

OK... I'm sorry, but I practically choked on my morning coffee when I
read this...  Frank, I had such higher opinions of you than this!!
You think the overall number of performers increased?  They've
consistently had 4 stages sometimes 5 throughout the years, same hours
too.. simple math would tell you thats not humanly possible...  that's
Ok that you might've miscalculated that, forgivable...  but here's
where I choked on my coffee...  you think there's a finite number of
DJs and producers in Detroit?!! WHAT??!!  Do some research, go back to
school, learn about not just the history of where it began, but also
where it has evolved to, because your comment is dead wrong.  This
city has more amazing DJs, Producers, and live musicians laying beats
on techno tracks than I could ever book if I was producing a 5 day
festival with 4 stages, making every stage Detroit only.