<<It's also easy to be distracted by audio-geekery and too many
choices available.>>

I think there is so much value in that one sentence, it bears
repeating ad infinitum.

The possibilities are so endless in 2008, that a number of undesirable
by-products has emerged...

Most significantly, much like the current state of Hollywood movies,
it's so easy to fall into the trap of getting wrapped up in to the
concept of technical brilliance and completely lose the entertainment
value in the process.

In Hollywood (well, LOTS of movies, really...no need to restrict it),
the goal is ticket sales. Butts in seats.
On television, it's faces in front of screens to watch advertising.

In years past, being adept at your craft brought people and the ticket
sales or faces in front of screens were the by-products. The tables
have turned, and it's the pure "spectacle"....i.e. the concept, not
the execution, that brings viewership.

Anyone of my/our generation need only look at the last 3 Star Wars
movies to prove my point. It wasn't the acting and it CERTAINLY wasn't
the dialogue that made those films box office successes. If there were
any other name attached to them but George Lucas, those films would've
been laughed out of the theater, or worse. The dialogue was absolutely
ATTROCIOUS.

It was the concept that brought people (including myself) in.  The
spectacular effects. The story line (which was no surprise if you
haven't been living under a rock since 1977)...the end product, when
taken at face value, was fairly laughable.

This is  completely the problem I had with Hawtin's previous "mix"
cd's - they may have been interesting in theory, and clinically
perfect, but that's just it. They were clinical. Cold. Sterile. Devoid
of any sort of soul or funk.

Or entertainment value...For a supposedly  "dance" record, I wasn't in
any way motivated to even nod my head at the desk by anything I heard
on those recordings.

If those recordings had been made by me, or any other non-name, they
wouldn't register a blip on the scale. But because of who he is, and
his cache of previous successes, the lack of quality was given a pass
in the name of progress.

I think this was the feeling that a lot of people share when they
claim that Hawtin is a product of "marketing" more than "substance".
The confusing thing is, he didn't start this way.

--
"Play more things that make me dance around and less things that make
me sit and look miserable in a plastic chair" - Brian Eno

Blind faith in bad leadership is not "Patriotism".