Picked this up this weekend and while Kieran Hebden isn't from
Detroit, and isn't usually that techno, I'm really feeling it.  The
title track is about 1/2 way between Can and Landcruising era Carl
Craig.  "Ribbons" combines music box arpeggios with some
straight-ahead techno percussion and synth ostinatos. "Swimmer"
combines subtly shifting drones with filtered snarehat patterns. "Wing
Body Wing" is stripped down kick and conga patterns joined by loopy,
echoey synth loops, which curiously recall Aaron Copland's "Billy The
Kid" theme.

But mostly it doesn't sound like anything else, precisely and while a
DJ could make these tracks work in a dance floor set, it's obvious
that Hebden is using the form and rhythms of techno for his own
purposes.  The kicks aren't dance floor kicks, and there's no big
buildup/breakdown cycle.  It' all very episodic, exploratory and
engrossing.

This got me thinking about grabbing The Exchange Sessions (Kieran
Hebden & Steve Reid) on mp3, but beatport doesn't have them, and
bleep.com isn't licensed to sell them to the US.  ITunes has them, but
I wanted MP3 files.  Anyone know another on-line digital download
vendor who carries these?