HDNet showed "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" Sunday Night. I
remember it being discussed on the list when it first came out, but I
just have to say what deep emotions it brought up in me to finally
hear a little of the story of those guys, and to see the survivors
perform together.

Surprising to me was how well some unlikely (to me) characters
performed the old song -- Ben Harper and Joan Osborne were right on,
without being imitative.  Chaka Khan, who I normally love, seemed like
she wanted to add her stamp to songs that need nothing more than to be
sung with an open heart.

It doesn't have much to do with Detroit Techno, except that there must
be something in the water in Detroit to explain the honest soul
Detroit music always has.  I bet the Polka bands in Hamtramck do it
with soul.