On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 04:00:23PM +1000, William Brown wrote:
> My vote is to merge them. I came to this decision because I believe that
> this will make development against multiple branches easier with regard
> to testing and backport of patches. For example, we'll know that lib389
> that's inside of 1.3.7 will *always* work with that release, even if we
> have improved in 1.4.x etc.
>
> We also are developing new CLI and admin tools, and these are often
> tightly linked to a version of Directory Server. I think that it's
> easier for us as developers to have this specific linking, than trying
> to spend large amounts of time making something generic that works for
> all versions.
>
> For example, this would make the CI workflow much simpler as we just get
> "389-ds-base" and it's a self contained test suite and admin system. No
> need to get the "matching pairs" as the separate workflow would require.

I agree. I vote for merging too.
Also, besides all stuff you and Viktor have mentioned, while developing
something for lib389 (some new feature or fixing the old code) I feel
a natural need to fix 389-ds-base according to my changes.

Thank you for bringing up the topic! :) And for all the info you've
structured.

Simon