On Tue, 2017-09-26 at 16:56 -0400, Mark Reynolds wrote:
> https://pagure.io/389-ds-base/issue/raw/files/7249aa3bf493cffef4c7e3a3eb843d2626b3a4e6c3802a3d246e0f5cfeafbb33-0001-Ticket-49305-Need-to-wrap-atomic-calls.patch

Cool, so I think this patch touches on something that we need to
consider for the future - HPUX support.

Today, we can't test this, and we are really shooting blind in our
support for it.

I've already opened this ticket to drop 32bit:

https://pagure.io/389-ds-base/issue/49365

I think that for 1.4.x we should drop HPUX support also.

This would limit our support to:

* x86_64
* aarch64
* ppc64 (le)

And for OS this would put us at:

100% support of Linux
Partial support for FreeBSD
Someone is working on re-adding Solaris

With that in mind, I think that given this atomic wrapper exists *just*
for hpux perhaps this patch should *only* be in 1.3.7 branch? I'd like
to see it cleaned out/reverted for 1.4.x. perhaps. We have a lot of old
legacy support, and I think we really need to take a clearer line on
what we do and don't support, and we need to cleanup these shim layers
because they *do* add overheads.

--
Sincerely,

William Brown