Hi
nsswitch.conf contains the following relevant lines, the rest is unchanged

passwd:     ldap files
shadow:     ldap files
group:      ldap files

Maybe it is my ldap settings, please see /etc/ldap.conf below

bind_policy soft
URI ldap://ldap.server.ip
BASE dc=domain,dc=local
TLS_CACERTDIR /etc/openldap/cacerts
pam_password clear
pam_lookup_policy yes
pam_password exop
# Idle timelimit; client will close connections
# (nss_ldap only) if the server has not been contacted
# for the number of seconds specified below.
#idle_timelimit 3600
idle_timelimit 900

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Grzegorz Dwornicki <gd1...@gmail.com>wrote:

> What about NSS configuration? Maybe there is configuration making ssl
> mandatory?
>
> Greg
> 13 lis 2012 12:51, "Ali Jawad" <ali.ja...@splendor.net> napisał(a):
>
> Hi All
>> I am trying to change the password using passwd, please see the below :
>>
>> [xyz@server ~]$ passwd
>> Changing password for user xyz.
>> Enter login(LDAP) password:
>> New UNIX password:
>> Retype new UNIX password:
>> *LDAP password information update failed: Confidentiality required*
>> *Operation requires a secure connection.*
>>
>>  The error log shows
>> Nov 13 11:47:17 HA-Dev-Nymgo-100-45 passwd: pam_unix(passwd:chauthtok):
>> user "xyz" does not exist in /etc/passwd
>>
>> Pam config follows :
>>
>> /etc/pam.d/passwd
>> #%PAM-1.0
>> auth       include      system-auth
>> account    include      system-auth
>> password   include      system-auth
>> ~
>>
>> /etc/pam.d/system-auth
>>
>> #/etc/pam.d/system-auth
>> #%PAM-1.0
>>
>> auth            required          pam_env.so
>> auth            sufficient      pam_unix.so
>> auth            sufficient      pam_ldap.so  use_first_pass
>> auth            required          pam_deny.so
>>
>> account  sufficient     pam_unix.so
>> account  sufficient     pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
>> account  required         pam_deny.so
>>
>> password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3
>> password    sufficient    pam_unix.so md5 shadow nullok try_first_pass
>> use_authtok
>> password    sufficient    pam_ldap.so use_authtok
>> password    required      pam_deny.so
>>

>> #password        required        pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=2
>>  dcredit=0  ucredit=0
>> #password        sufficient      pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
>> #password        sufficient      pam_ldap.so
>> #password        required          pam_deny.so
>>
>> session  optional         pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022
>> session  required         pam_limits.so
>> session  required         pam_unix.so
>> session  optional         pam_ldap.so
>> ~
>> ~
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Arpit Tolani <arpittol...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello

>>> here ?
>>> >

>>> Yes, passwd is right choice, considering you have pam_ldap.so properly
>>> configured & yes passwd dont need ssl/tls to be configured.

>>> with
>>> clients for

>>> would be
>>> users