On Apr 3, 2014, at 5:11 PM, Rich Megginson <rmegg...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/03/2014 02:56 PM, Morgan Jones wrote:

>>> Yes, and we are working on fixing those issues in EL6.6.  So perhaps when
>>> EL6.6 is released you will be able to use the OS packages.
>> Rich et al,
>>
>> I've been following this thread with interest.   I am however a little
>> confused about the right place and version to get 389:
>>
>> you make a distinction between the source version (versions 1.2.11.28 and
>> 1.3.1.16).  Both are stable, 1.3.1 is just newer and potentially more
>> bleeding edge?  1.3.1 also seems to not be available from either the OS or
>> epel repositories.
>
> 1.2.11 branch is strictly maintenance - only the most critical patches.
>
> 1.3.1 branch is less strict - it may get new features.
>
> 1.3.1 is available for Fecdora 19.  1.3.1 will be in EL7.  We are not
> planning to provide it in EPEL7 at this time.

Thanks, that makes sense.

>> And if epel6 contains patches that have not been fully tested and I should
>> avoid it in production but how do I get the admin server, console etc?
>
> There is a distinction between "epel6" and the official EPEL6.  What we call
> "389-ds-base" in "epel6" is not really the official EPEL6 repository.  It is
> an individual developer provided and supported fedorapeople (and now copr)
> repository strictly for those who want to (or must) be on the "bleeding" edge
> of the 1.2.11 branch - those who absolutely require bug fixes or features
> that are present in the upstream 1.2.11 branch, but are not yet in the
> official EL6.5 389-ds-base package.

I understand.   I didn't catch the distinction between "EPEL6" and "epel6."

Where is the (lowercase) epel6/copr repository?   I know I've seen the fedora
people repository in the past but I can't for the life of me find it (or copr)
now.  I see various pages but not the repository itself.

thanks for the clarifications,

-morgan