We use F5 Big-IPs, but yes, they're expensive.

Prior to buying the F5s, we used Linux lvs / ipvs, with keepalived as the health checker/router.

http://www.keepalived.org/
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

Getting started isn't simple, but it is very stable and easy to manage once its set up.

cheers