On Aug 19, 2016, at 6:06 PM, Don Lapin wrote:

> Just a side note on this discussion, wasn't there a problem with the
> installer for one of the 1.7.x versions installing some sort of adware or
> malware?
>
> Currently, Wikipedia says "Since 2009, PDFCreator has included closed source
> adware, toolbars and other controversial software that is installed by
> default.[4]”

Yeah you have to be cautious when you run the installer and make sure to
uncheck all the boxes to not have it install the crapware. I hate that too. But
I never let users do the install. I always do it myself.

> I stopped using it because I couldn't recommend it to customers in this
> state. I also might have had problems using it when high volumes of batch
> processing were involved.

The other big pain-in-the-ass thing is that by default it is set to check for
updates weekly. So after you install it on a user machine it will later prompt
the user if they want to update to 2.x. Which of course is deadly. So you have
to remember to set it to “never”. Otherwise someone will update and then pdf
creation from the database will fail and I get a support call.

And then there’s the situation where users are on Terminal Server. I’ve not
found a for sure way to set PDF Creator to never check for updates for all
users on Terminal Server. I’m sure there must be a settings file stored
somewhere for each user that has this setting, but I’ve not been able to find
it. I guess it also could be in the Registry.

Anyone the name of this PDF Creator settings file or the key for it in the
Registry?

The good news in all of this is that we will be rid of this thing now that
Windows 10 has built in PDF support and it surprisingly uses the same COM model
as PDFCreator so it works with 4D. Just have to ride it out for a few more
years until everyone has upgraded to Windows 10. And for the Windows 7 users,
you'll just have to treat them like the special people that they are. :)

Anybody know if Windows Server 2016 will support PDF creation like Windows 10?
It’s out in preview mode now, but I can’t find any details on the built in PDF
driver. This would make it so nice for 4D running onTerminal Server.

Tim

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions
785-749-3444