Mitchell,
I think you will need to create some graphic elements to use as backgrounds
for your buttons to achieve this. Colored buttons aren't part of anyone's
standard UI which is why, I think, 4D doesn't support them. Find or make up
what you need, put it in the Resources folder and there you go. If you are
using standard sizes you can reference the files directly from the button
object. If you need them to be able to resize or for varying size buttons
load them into variables and use the variables behind transparent buttons.

--
Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA