On Aug 31, 2016, at 1:36 PM, Peter Mew wrote:

> I just tried to open the 2004 database with the v13 development environment
> and it converted both structure and database to v13 format. Then I had to
> work my way through it to find what still worked, and fix what didn't.

I would agree with Peter’s advice. You’ve already said you are going to upgrade
to v15. So just grab a copy of the current structure and a copy of the current
data file and open it in v15 and let it convert it.

You’ll get a bunch of errors about the plugins and messages about not having
primary keys set for all the tables. And of course it will not compile. Then
you get to work like Peter says.

Upgrade the plugins. Then run a compile. Go to each error, like all the plugin
related ones, and fix them by writing new code or replacing a plugin with a
method you create. It’s going to take you a few days and maybe 50 attempts to
compile before it works. But you’ll get there.

You may have to write some code to update your data file because v15 requires a
primary key be set for every table you want to journal. So you may have to do
several test data file upgrades before it works smoothly. You may also have to
make one more 2004 version that has all the primary key fields created and
values assigned to them. Then when you open that data file with v15 it will
convert it and assign the primary keys without issues.

We all had to go through the primary key issues when moving from v13 to v14 or
v15.

Once all that is done, you’ll be ready to install the v15 version and let it
upgrade your production data file.  The final step will be dealing with those
odd bugs and issues that users report about certain things that you didn’t run
across while doing the upgrade work. Can’t get around that part either. It’s
going to happen, but they usually very quick and easy to fix. Probably on need
one or two v15 version bug fix structure installs and you will be back to where
you are now running your 2004 version.

And as they say… good luck. :)

Tim

Tim Nevels