On Sep 26, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Dan Katz wrote:

> I have an installation which consists of a server with 8 local users, plus
> several dozen remote single-user copies. The server sends updater files every
> night to an FTP site which the remote apps download and run in the morning.
> The updating procedure uses SEND RECORD/RECEIVE RECORD.
>
> The problem is that the structure needs an upgrade and it's going to be
> impossible to upgrade all remote apps simultaneously. Some tables need
> additional fields. What damage would it do to a standalone app's datafile to
> receive a record with more fields than it's current structure's table has?

in the past the record with the extra fields would load into the database that
did not have those fields defined without an error or problem. Of course the
data in the new fields would be lost and not available in the new database. I
would not expect 4D would have changed how SEND/RECEIVE RECORD works.

Tim

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions
785-749-3444