Hmm. So the Design Reference has always been wrong? In the Order By Editor
section, Sort Levels paragraph:

"When sorting the contents of fields, 4D is not case sensitive (i.e., “Smith” =
“smith”) or diacritical sensitive (i.e., “Aá” = “Aa”). However, if you are
using an international version of 4D and your operating system is diacritical
sensitive (e.g., “Aá” ¦ “Aa”), sorting operations will also take diacritical
marks into account”

http://doc.4d.com/4Dv15R5/4D/15-R5/Order-by-editor.300-2964328.en.html

As far as I know I’m using the English version of 4D, not an international
version (although I don’t know to verify that).