Hi Arnaud and Chuck—

I think I understand (correctly?) that, without any filter, text fields will
accept all characters. It’s also my understanding that a filter acts in a way
that it will allow only those characters specified by the filter itself? And
there’s no way to craft a “deny” filter?

I received a call from a user that she was seeing the handling of characters
with diacriticals had changed. (Mac OS and 4D v14) For instance the previous 2
keystrokes which produced é were now producing ´é. (she was having to go back
and cut the first ´.)

Years ago the purpose I used text filters was to prohibit “control” characters
which, if stored in data, might cause unpredictable results. Short story at
this time is that, in trying to track down the diacritical problem, I’m getting
different results between using no text filter vs an empty text filter and I
can’t seem to find a way to allow CRs

It’s 2016 and we’re now all unicode; is there any reason to use a text filter
at all if I’m not particularly concerned about controlling input? Has anyone
else seen different behaviors between using no input filter and using a
blank/null input filter?

Thanks,

Bill

All this demonstrates I’m more capable of confusing myself thananyone else is...