On Dec 4, 2016, at 12:36 PM, Arnaud de Montard wrote:

> You said the machine had 4Gb of ram.
>
> 4D server 32 can use maximum 2Gb (~2000Mb) in these 4. You have to balance
> that between cache and "the rest of 4D" (executing methods, creating
> processes, etc.). I usually give 1500 (1,5Gb) to cache, the remaining 0,5
> seems to be enough for "the rest”.

I believe the max RAM that 4D can access is 4GB — the max byte value of an
UNSIGNED longint. The max you can set the cache to is 2,384MB on macOS with
32bit 4D Server. (I think it is the same on Windows but I’m not sure.) 4D
Server will not let you go any higher. It does this so that it will have
1,616MB for “the rest”. It will dynamically use that for what it needs.

Next you have to consider how much memory the operating system needs. If all
that the machine is doing is running 4D Server and not doing any file sharing,
I would think a bare minimum would be 1GB. 2GB just for the OS should be more
than enough.

If I have a machine with 4GB+ of memory and I’m running 32bit 4D Server I’d set
the 4D data cache to 2,300MB if there are less than 20 users and an average of
5 processes per user. The remaining 1,700MB will be used up by 4D Server for
“the rest” and by the operating system.

Run the system configured like this for some time and monitor memory allocation
on the machine with Activity Monitor on macOS or Task Manager on Windows. If
you see there is a lot of “Swap used” on macOS then you are maxing out on RAM.
(I can’t remember the name of the option on Windows to indicate you are paging
out memory.) Better to reduce the 4D data cache by 250MB or so and then see how
that works. It is called fine tuning of memory usage.

> 4d server 64 can use much more ram (2^64), but still you are limited to 4Gb
> on that machine. I suppose that 2500-3000 reserved for cache will be enough
> for "the rest" and the system to breathe. Note: I have a very little
> experience of 64bit servers still, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong…

On a 64bit machine with 4GB of memory I’d use the same settings. I’d probably
not even use 64bit 4D Server on a machine with 4GB of memory. Don’t see much
point to it. Max cache is still going to be around 2,300MB because you’ll still
need the remaining 1,700MB for 4D Server “the rest” and the operating system to
share.

In my opinion you don’t need 64bit 4D Server unless you have at least 8GB on
the machine. With an 8GB machine you can easily set the 4D data cache to
5,000MB.

Tim

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions