no this is not the case, in v12 even.
Tab controls are arrays, as such, if you/user selects a tab and you do
not clear/reinitialize the array between record access, then it has the
last selected tab as default.
ex (pseudo code):

:(on load)
 if (size of array(tab_control)=0)
   array text(tab_control;5)
   list to array("Entry_tab_Titles";Tab_Control)
   Tab_Control:=1
 end if
 Tab_Manager(tab_Control) // does work to display correct info on tab
page

then on the second access of the entry form (next/previous record) the
tab control will still have whatever value the user last selected, and
the above code will setup the tab accordingly.