It’s not very sophisticated. 4D pushes data to PostgreSQL, or retrieves data
from PostgreSQL, based on either user-triggered actions or periodic task
execution. At no point does the Rails/PostgreSQL system access 4D.  The fact
that 4D uses SQL to access the PostgreSQL database has specific disadvantages,
such as updates involving schema changes needing to have coordinated release.

Jim Crate