> I can't see a way to programmatically add a trigger to it
> Triggers can be enabled or disabled via the ALTER TABLE command,
> but how can a trigger be created? Is there ANY way to create a trigger?

METHOD SET CODE would likely work for you to set the code, something like this:
METHOD SET CODE("[trigger]/table_1";$code)

The problem I think you will find is how to enable the individual trigger
checkboxes, the ones you normally click in the table properties...

ALTER TABLE allows you to disable or enable the Trigger mechanism, it does not
allow you to select which triggers are enabled or disabled (i.e. it doesn’t
change the state of the checkboxes on the table properties).

You need the ability to alter the checkbox state of the triggers at the table
properties level; I am not aware of a feature for this.

-Tim PENNER