Kirk,

I just re-did the UI of my application.
Here are a few tips form my experience.

1) Start by picking a color palette of 4-6 colors. I use Spectrum- great app
for selecting colors  based on their relationship- monochromatic, analogous,
complementary etc.
Make a table and decide which colors you will use for which form elements-
headers, buttons etc.

2) Google modern UI or Flat UI and look thru the images and choose a style that
appeals to you.

3) For icons, I use Picons. Low cost, royalty-free icons. These work perfectly
with Sketch. A great app for modifying the icons or creating 2 or 4 state icons.

4) The most important thing I learned about design was from Roland Lannuzel who
co-wrote 4D Write Pro. He stressed that in good design, “Less is best”.  I went
through all of my forms and removed divider lines, boxes. etc.  The result is
easier to design, build etc. I was shocked about what I removed. No more sunken
effect. No borders around list boxes.

5) I define a grid ahead of time and decide the size of all elements. e.g. 20
pixels blank border for all elements from the side of the window. 10 pixels
between groups of data.  All buttons are 100 pixel wide unless absolutely
necessary.  I have rules for how I align elements, so that each page looks very
similar.

6) On a personal not I like to have white text on a colored background for
headers. I like the various elements of form to look like they “float” on the
page. No defined border.

If you would like I can send you some sample pages to better understand what I
am saying.

Mitch