[JPR]

Hi David,

I'm not sure about this topic... About what do you try to demonstrate...

> I did it on purpose to see what happens. I'm fanatical about checking
> inputs and preconditions and wanted to see what sort of error to trap for.
> In many cases, there is no error trapped - it just screws up.

Is it a crash test? A kind of stress test? Do you really want to find a way to
crash 4D? If yes, I can tell you many ways to crash 4D, or your System, or your
HD, or even your computer, beyond any hope of recover...

It's like if you test a car, pedal to the metal, and ask what will happen if
you close your eyes and turn abruptly the steering wheel. Is it useful?

What I said during this training is basically:

- Except in very exceptional cases, you do NOT need preemptive, so you can keep
your interprocess variables and interface tricks.

- If you actually NEED preemptive tasks, then you will develop new programming
for that, and then why not do it in a kind of thread-safe programming, just in
case...

- Any analysis that concludes into a need to synchronize your thread with
others is probably wrong somewhere.

- You can always try to cheat with 4D, if you like it, but in serious
programming, don't try to mess with 4D, for I strongly doubt it will do any
good...

> I objected to EXECUTE for a very
> long time because of this very reason. Unsafe at any speed.

That's true. But you know, Life is unsafe at any speed.

Why to object to a command? Just don't use it if you do not feel safe with it,
and let people willing to use it do it at their own risks. I feel BASE jumping
very unsafe, so I don't do it, and I still feel good about people who like it...

My very best,

JPR