During conversion of our customers' data from 2003 to v11 in unicode mode, we
did some trick to allow 4D convert data to unicode correctly. It only helps if
your data contains only one type of non-roman character.

For instance, most of our users use Traditional Chinese (big5) in 2003. Before
conversion, we change the regional setting of the server to Tradition Chinese
in our case. Then launch the data in the server with new structure on v11.
After the
conversion, quit the server and change the regional setting back to English.
Launch the server again, all data in Traditional Chinese could be veiwed in new
version. However, data in other non-roman character sets couldn't be viewed
correctly and
requires manual update (re-enter the field).

YMMV

Alan Chan