On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Jeffrey Kain via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> So why not BLOBs? Why not pictures, or text variables? Why does C_OBJECT
> flaunt the limited scoping abilities we have in 4D?

​
I think it has to do with the c-object being brought about ​from figuring
out how to handle JSON. Blobs and pictures and text vars all conform more
or less to the way 4D has conceptualized data objects pretty much forever
from my perspective. And 4D-land pretty much eschewed really embracing any
alternatives (which is why it's so much fun to use XML in 4D). Not to get
all shrinky about this but I feel that had Laurent not made the detour into
Wakanda and immersed himself in javaScript for a while our tools for JSON
would be on par with the ones for XML. The c-object is stretching 4D
conceptually and technically. From what I've heard at the Summits and such
it's changing the way 4D is built internally. So it seems likely to me this
is the future of 4D being worked out. I don't think it's a bad thing.
Frankly I think being able to manipulate JSON pretty much directly in 4D is
fabulous. Of course I've demonstrated I'm not big on the internal
architecture involved but as a user and developer I think it's pretty cool.
I'm just trying to really ground my understanding of the fundamentals so I
don't start engineering in ideas that will blow up on me in a year or two.

--
Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*