Chip:

Even longer than the hardware/firmware solutions there has been software to do
this. The performance hit is substantial though. I remember testing out a
software solution about 15 years ago with a compiled standalone version of our
application. Essentially with these they intercept the writing to the hard
drive for certain applications so that you do not have to do this for all
applications. It was substantially slower. Of course that was 15 years ago, so
this could have speeded up since then, especially with SSD. Still though the
hardware/firmware solution I could not see a difference in performance between
with it and without it.

Jody