This new keyboard is just killing me. Anyway, ignore the incomplete version
of this method.

I was reminded yesterday that it's pretty easy not to understand the
difference between dot releases and R releases. I guess it's the numbering?
I do understand it now (it took a few years), but it's still hard to
explain. I though of a new way so I'm tossing out two explanation.s

Dot releases
16.0      16.1       16.2  etc.
These are all incremental versions of 16.0. *No new features*, just bug
fixes.

16 R2    16 R3   16 R4
These are 16.0+ bug fixes +new features.

New features do *not* go into dot releases, they *only* go into R releases.
16.x is feature set for its entire lifetime, only bug fixes are added.

Okay, that's the basic story but what hit me yesterday is that it might
help to think of R releases in a different way:

17 B1   17 B2   17 B3

Let me say right away that this is *not* accurate. They're not really quite
betas, but if you're thinking about it from the features point of view,
only dot releases ended in 0 get new features. So, in this sense, R
releases are beta releases of *features* for the next whole number dot
release.