Hi all,

I’m looking for ways to improve my off-site backup strategy and was wondering
if any of you found an online service that reliably backs up the log (.journal)
file on a high-frequency basis … without disrupting that file.

We have several servers (Macs) in two colocation data centers … one of which is
in Florida, so you can imagine what’s on my mind.  Historically I’ve been using
iBackup / iDrive to move our full backups and log files every night to "the
cloud” (you know, where computers and angels live).  We also have local
redundancy in the data centers (external RAID 1, or mirrored, arrays for the
running database, with backups and the current log file on another drive that’s
not part of the RAID array).  That protects us against the most common
problems:  1) individual hard drive failure, 2) server failure, or 3) even
failure of the RAID system.  We can quickly recover from all three of those.
Catastrophic failure of the data center is the one thing that local backups
don’t help with.  These data centers are telco bunkers that won’t blow away in
a storm, but they could go offline for an extended period, hence the remote
backups.

Ideally we’d like the log files to be backed up remotely far more frequently
than the once-a-day full backups.  Every ten minutes should do it.  That way,
in the event of a catastrophic failure we could use the previous night’s backup
and the log file to reconstruct almost all of our data (up to the 10-minute
window).

I’ve tried iDrive’s “Continuous Data Protection” service, but it’s not working
for this file and so far they can’t explain why.  I also tried Google’s new
Backup & Sync app to sync the file to Google Drive, but similarly it’s not
working; it doesn’t recognize the file as changing.  I suspect this is because
these services may be relying upon the Finder’s modification date & time, which
is also not updating as the system writes to the log (and the file grows).
Haven’t tried iCloud for this yet, but that’s next.

Has anyone come up with a mechanism for high-frequency remote backups of the
logs that a) works and b) doesn’t somehow disrupt the log’s ability to receive
new entries from the running database?
__

Ron Rosell
President