> Here´s my real-world use:
> I wrote an iPhone app that collects data (scans barcodes).
> That data is in JSON format and transferred via HTTP to a 4D Server.
> The server stores that data in an object field (which is never queried. It
> just holds the collected data).

That's a great example of a classic use for a JSON field, by whatever name.
(And one of the reasons I would like compression options for JSON fields in
4D.) This an example that I'd file under "storing logging or API result
data", something that makes sense to me for a doc field, if you need the
data in the database for some reason.

By default, I don't want most logging data in 4D, but do when it's for
auditing/troubleshooting. I like text files pushed into a log analyzer. I
should be working on that again shortly, actually.

> The same would work with a text- or blob-field to store the data, but an
> object field makes it a bit easier.

Great example, thanks for sharing.