Just make sure to stop copying live data file and implemet journal. Back
ups of those is fine as long as time machne does not try and copy them when
you are creating them. One thing you could do is to back up to a folder
that time machone skips and upon completion move documents .4BK and .4BL to
a folder that time machine does backup you. If you do this you will ave to
manually handle how many backups are kept. Code for this is not that
difficult

Regards

Chuck

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 2:43 PM, Robert C. Faucett via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Awesome Tim, thanks for taking the time.  I have a 4BK file from 0400
> yesterday so will only have to redo the work from yesterday.
>
> Best
> Rob
>

> --
> Robert C. Faucett
> Collections Manager
> Ornithology
> Burke Museum
> Box 353010
> University of Washington
> Seattle, WA 98195-3010
> Office: 206-543-1668
> Cell: 206-619-5569
> Fax: 206-685-3039
> rfauc...@uw.edu
> www.washington.edu/burkemuseum
> http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/collections/ornithology/index.php
> http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/collections/genetic/index.php
>

> On 3/8/18, 11:36 AM, "4D_Tech on behalf of Timothy Penner via 4D_Tech"
> <4d_tech-boun...@lists.4d.com on behalf of 4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:
>
> >If you are not using the built-in 4D Backup System, then it will be near
> >impossible to get a good backup of the 4D files. This is because the
> >changes are made in memory and periodically flushed to disk (default
> >interval of 20 seconds). There is no mechanism between 4D and time
> >Machine to enforce consistency of the files during that backup, therefore
> >the files restored from time machine will usually be corrupt or invalid.
> >
> >The only way to properly backup a 4D Database is to use the built-in 4D
> >Backup System. This will create a 4BK file every time the backup runs. In
> >addition to that, you should enable the journal file. The journal file
> >will contain all of the changes since the last backup. If you still want
> >to use Time Machine then you should configure it to back up the 4BK file
> >and the possibly even the Journal file.
> >
> >However, you mentioned the data file is listed as last modified 1 week
> >ago; I would venture to guess that maybe you are looking at the wrong
> >data file. You should probably double check the path to current data file
> >in 4D to confirm you are even looking at the correct one, for example
> >from the information page of the MSC:
> >http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16R4/4D/16-R4/Information-page.300-3330288.en.html
> >
> >-Tim
> >

> >**********************************************************************
> >4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> >FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> >Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> >Unsub:  mailto:4d_tech-unsubscr...@lists.4d.com
> >**********************************************************************

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Server connectivity
          http://www.informed-solutions.com
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption
from disclosure as to this communication.