One of our clients, in a hospital setting, is running 4D Server 11.9. They are
gradually replacing their Windows XP machines. The server runs on a
rack-mounted machine in a server room that is stuffed to the gills with
hardware. I have to schedule any access I might want.

They have updated to client machines running Windows 7. Fresh copy of 4D 11.9.
-And I have one issue - there is one table where I store the machine
preferences for printers and the like. Several years ago, you could see a
gaggle of printers on the network, particularly from a Mac.

So, we go fetch all the printers assigned to the machine, and allow them to
select which printer is used for which task - normal printing, labels, etc.

The named machine has a record in table A, main key is a longint, and the
preferences for it in table B, linked with a longint to table A.  And, when you
go into the printer picking routine, it creates the base machine record and
creates the printer assignments when it is validated.

Now, table A gets a new record for the machine, but table B does not get any
records. For records that exist in table B for other preferences, values can be
changed through the normal procedures.

And I have added myself as a patient to test and it added the normal suite of
records to about 5 tables.

Today, I went in a lunch, and ran a verify of the records and indexes, figuring
I has a broken index. Wouldn’t you know, everything verifies - all records and
all indexes.

I figure the next step is to restart the server - it has to be scheduled for
the end of the day - the clinics can’t be disrupted during the day.

Any other suggestions?
Bob McKeever                      http://www.mswl.com <http://www.mswl.com/>
McKeever's Software Wizardry
Port Coquitlam, B.C.