Haven’t worked with them yet, but my understanding is that a collection is an
ordered list of values of possibly varying types.  In 4D arrays, all of the
values must be the same type.  In a 4D collection, you can use mixed types as
the elements.

Example:

$MyCollection[0]:=“Hello”
$MyCollection[1]:=5