Tom,

> I'm getting the same license error when trying to open a 4D Write area in 64
> bit v16.3 on a Mac, single user. It works just fine on 32 bit v16.3.
> Jim, did you find a solution?

You cannot use a 4D Write area in 64 bit.

If you want to use 4D 64-bit then you must use 4D Write PRO.
If you want to use 4D Write (Legacy) then you must use 32 bit.

This is expected and documented:
http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16/4D/16.3/Changing-from-32-bit-versions-to-64-bit-versions.200-3673253.en.html

{
Check your plug-ins
 The first requirement consists in upgrading your plug-ins (if any) to their
64-bit version:

4D plug-ins:
All plug-ins already exist in 64-bit versions, except for 4D Write and 4D View.
* If your application uses 4D Write, you need to consider migrating your code
to 4D Write Pro. Good practice is to keep your existing 32-bit code and start a
new 64-bit based module with 4D Write Pro alongside it.
* If your application uses 4D View, you will have to use 4D View Pro features
or other alternatives.
Third-party plug-ins:
* Contact your providers to get 64-bit versions.
}

-Tim