Piotr,
1. I think you will need to use ST GET PLAIN TEXT to get all the text after
the specified range and then look for the first return character in that
selection. I believe this is the only way to get an accurate position with
styled text.

2. Again, use ST GET PLAIN TEXT to get a range of text from the cursor
position back n characters or to the beginning of the text.

HTH

Pat

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 at 10:02, Piotr Chabot Stadhouders via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are in the progress of migrating from 4D Write to Write Pro
> A lot of things are going fine, but there is one area that seems easy but
> I am having difficulties with it and that is programmatically manipulating
> text
>
> I give 2 examples that maybe seem obvious to others but are not for me:
>
>   1.  I am in a procedure where I have an Write Pro object (not perce an
> area on screen, could be a range) and an expression has been selected via
> $type:=ST Get content type($wp_obj;$start;$end;$startBlock;$endBlock). I
> call the command ST SET TEXT($wp_obj;$text;$startBlock;$endBlock) to
> replace the selected expression. So far no problems, but here it comes...
> Now I want to find the first occurrence of a carriage return in the text
> that comes after the replaced text (end inserted text - end whole text).
> What is the best / easiest way to do this? Remember, this text can contain
> styled text and/or expressions and/or pictures
>   2.  Example 2 is like example 1 but now with an actual visual area. The
> user types a couple of characters. At a certain point after typing I want
> to procedurally replace the typed text from the cursor back until the first
> space and replace it with another text. Maybe somebody knows "Type it for
> me", this is what I am talking about. So, what is the best way to find the
> first occurrence of a space from the cursor back and replace this text with
> another text?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Piotr

CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing