Robert,

We have experienced this on several windows computers as well.  In our case
they were windows 10 machines so it isn’t isolated to the server OS.  Nothing
shows up in the event log that would pinpoint the problem.  We could manually
start the database as a service and it starts just fine.  It just seemed like
the service was ignored by windows on startup.  We even changed to automatic
delayed start and that didn’t matter.  We haven’t gotten to the bottom of this
as of yet.  Seems like it was introduced by some windows patch that was run in.
 We are running 4D v16.3.

I’m looking at this thread with interest to see if someone has solved the
problem so we can too.

Regards,
David