What would you check for? $1 is a text so it will either have a value or be an
empty string -- both of which can be queried for.  And testing the length of
the entity selection prior to trying to access the first() element prevents
another runtime error if the query returned nothing.

It's also annoying that an error handler is running, yet a runtime error
appears instead of calling the error method. Also the lack of a call chain
makes this really hard to track down.

It failed once in two days (this is a "workhorse" method that gets called all
the time).  The old Begin SQL/End SQL version never failed as far as I know.