> In addition to consistency & clarity in showing variable type, do you
from my 'Conventions' (all comment) method

  //Variables
  //all process or interprocess vars are preceded by a type designator
  //I do not hold these conventions for local variables
  //this is in the form of :
  //    letter(s)_variablename
  //    letters for designator are always lower case

  //Variable names are always 1 word, with separate 'phrases' connected
by an underscore
  //the first letter of each 'phrase' is always capitalized.
  //ex: al_My_Longint_Array
variable naming specifics are NOT included here....

>do you
> put   any / much / no   thought into using the variable names to
> indicate business―vs technical―purpose?

Depending on the code usage, it is not always possible to separate the
2 things - technical vs Business. If the code is generic (like might be
found in a component) then the primary consideration for variable
naming will be technical usage; however, Reporting, and/or user
interface most often the usage in the interface is the paramount
consideration for variable naming.

i.e.
Component : $Array_Pointer, $Loop_Counter, $Return_value
Interface : r_Invoice_Line_Total, r_Invoice_Grand_total,
l_Line_Item_Count

For code that spans the gap, naming will be what seems to make the most
sense. I *try* to make the code as readable, and 'self documenting' as
possible, even in generic code I try to avoid code like this
(completely made up):

For ($i;1;$x)
  $y:= $z+$A+$f*$t/$R+$G-$k
  $v:=$y+$v
end for

and prefer code more like this (also made up):

$Record_Count := Records in set("SomeSetName")
For($i;1;$Record_Count)
  $Record_Total:= [table]Field1 *[table]Field2) + ([table]Field3 /
[table]Field4)
  $Grand_Total := $Grand_Total + $Record_Total
  next record([table])
end for

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 21:17:40 -0400, David Eddy via 4D_Tech wrote:

>> On Aug 01, 2018, at 3:00 PM, Jody Bevan <jody.be...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:jody.be...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>> 2. The naming convention must clearly show the type of variable.
>
> In addition to consistency & clarity in showing variable type, do you
> put   any / much / no   thought into using the variable names to
> indicate business―vs technical―purpose?

> David Eddy
> Babson Park, MA
>
> W: 781-455-0949