Hi all,

In the past few years there has been an increasing trend towards  Virgin Cable
internet in the UK.  We have Virgin at our offices now and were using it for
our primary connection with a fail over back to our existing ADSL connection.
Increasingly we were seeing a significant number of drop outs connecting to 4D
databases held at various data centres.  As a result the Virgin connection
spends more time disconnected than connected and I am waiting for the end of
the contract period to ditch it entirely.

As well as 4D Client Server we have developed a few strategic applications
(written in 4D standalone) which run on tablet and laptops for field agents.
The first of these was implemented using SOAP and would have the occasional
glitch when syncing but overall was stable and fairly fast.  The second was
implemented on HTTP REST calls using 4D's HTTP Request function.  This appeared
both fast and stable until we tested it on the Virgin connection and started
seeing reports from field use.

Parts of the syncing were taking significantly longer (4 to 5 times the
duration) than our previous tests and drop-outs were a big problem.  We tried
many things to solve this but nothing worked other than switching to our ADSL
where everything ran well.

Frustrated and trying hard to find a solution I decided to try using Pluggers
NTK which we have a cross platform license for but have never used for very
much.  There were examples which we were able to modify for our usage and we
were quickly able to replace the HTTP AUTHENTICATE AND HTTP Request methods.

This was like a magic bullet not only did our REST calls perform consistently
well on both ADSL and Virgin cable there was a marginal improvement in speed on
both.  We are moving away from SOAP anyway so having a reliable fast REST
option makes me very happy.

So this got me to thinking about the whole network part in 4D and the issues we
have been having with 4D Client v15, 16 and 17 with dropouts on some networks.

It seems to me that if the HTTP Request and WEB SERVICE CALL methods are being
so affected by networks like Virgin then it is also likely that the 4D client
connections would be affected in the same way.

Can any body answer the following:
Are there some magic tuning tips that people can share?
Why is it that NTK can be some much more consistent on different networks?
Why are 4D not making the network resilience and speed their top priority and
talking to people who have clearly made better solutions?

Regards,  Dougie

telekinetix Limited- J. Douglas Cryer
Phone : 01234 761759  Mobile : 07973 675 218
2nd Floor Broadway House, 4-6 The Broadway, Bedford MK40 2TE
Email : jdcr...@telekinetix.com  Web : http://www.telekinetix.com
<http://www.telekinetix.com/>